Wednesday 17 April 2013

Hymn Book - Development

I have now got all of the chants chosen for the book. The finished piece will be a proper hardback comprising stitched sections of 16 pages, so I have opted for a total page count of 208, which is divisible by 16. This includes the contents etc but not the endpapers, as these will be added at the end as part of the binding process. I compiled most of the chants from various websites and these two books which I bought from Amazon:



The content is divided up into teams, although a lot of the chants are either generic or there is only one decent one for a certain team. In this case I would not add that team to the contents page, instead they will go into the "OTHER" section. I am not particularly happy that the "OTHER" section makes up pretty much half the book but I can't really see a better way of doing it.

I have also decided to move the hymn numbers away from the hymn itself and place them consistently up in the corner of the page, in 12pt Joanna. Beneath each hymn I have the tune it was based on, in brackets in Joanna 6pt italic, with a one-line space above. Above each hymn, where applicable, I will have the name of the person or team the song is about, if it is not obvious from the lyrics themselves. This will be in Joanna 6pt italic with a one-line space below, and will take the format of "unto [team or player name]".

I really liked having verse numbers next to all but the first verse but I don't think it is practical as nearly all the chants have only one verse. Very few have more than two verses, so it may look a bit odd having them at all. It's a shame as it is a hymn book convention and would serve to make this look more like a real hymn book.

This is the finished page design:

No comments:

Post a Comment